Syncing to Evernote via Wireless
The biggest problem with traditional notebooks is finding the information once it’s written. I have always been an avid note taker, but often found it difficult to lay hands on my notes weeks or months later. Tight integration to Evernote enables the Livescribe smartpen to be a primary input device for a powerful information management system. Evernote makes it easy to organize, hyperlink, search, and catalog all kinds of information – including your Livescribe notes.
If you have already connected to a wireless network or connected through the Helper application skip to the SYNC section
First time Smartpen Setup
- The first time you turn on your Livescribe pen, the display will prompt you to logon to http://www.livescribe.com/setup.
- If you already have a Livescribe account, click the Sign In link. Otherwise create a Livescribe account using the online form.
- Once you are logged into your Livescribe account, you’ll link your account to your Evernote account. Click the Link to Evernote button.
- If you already have an Evernote account, click the Sign In link. Otherwise fill in the information on the Evernote sign-up form.
- You will be prompted to connect your Livescribe account to your Evernote account.
- Turn on your smartpen. The smartpen will give you an activation code that identifies the pen. Enter the activation code on the Setup page and give your pen a name. This smartpen name will be used when you link your pen to your Evernote account.
- Connect to a wireless network using the WIFI Setup block printed inside the Livescribe starter notebook.
- Tap your smartpen on the Scan for Networks icon in your starter notebook. The pen will display all of the wireless networks available.
- Tap the Down Arrow in the Find Your Network icon in the starter notebook.
- Once you see the desired wireless network in the pen’s display, tap the Select your Network icon in the starter notebook.
- If the WIFI network requires a password, use the keyboard printed in the starter notebook to enter the password. Tap the icon for each character in the password. When finished tap the icon labeled Enter. Note your WIFI network may require you to login using a web page. This is typical with hotel and business websites offering free WIFI. If this is the case, you won’t be able to get a wireless connection for your smartpen, since the pen has no way to display a browser page. In this case you’ll use a tethered connection and the Livescribe Helper application. If you have successfully connected to a WIFI network, your smartpen will display a message telling you that you’re connected.
- Write a few notes in your starter notebook on page one.
- Click the Synch Now icon inside the front cover of the starter notebook
- Open your account in Evernote to see your first Livescribe note.
- Evernote is available as a webpage or as an application. Open up the Evernote webpage at www.Evernote.com and log in. Alternatively you can download the free Evernote application for your Mac, PC, or smartphone.
- Log in to Evernote in your choice of platform.
- Your recently created Livescribe note will show in Evernote as a page of a notebook nested under a Notebook with the same name as you gave your smartpen in the original activation step.
- If you activate multiple notebooks on your smartpen, each will show as a separate notebook in your pen’s notebook in Evernote.
- The great thing about having your Livescribe notes in Evernote is that your notes are available to any device where you have your Evernote account.